Sunday 3 March 2013

Pink Sparkles and Perfection!

Hiya my lovely readers, hope you're all well. I am FANTASTIC!!! As you probably know if you've read my other blogs (seem to have been going on about this forever) I went to see the Priscilla Tour for the first time on 21st February and oh my word it was just SPECTACULAR!!!
Now I'd heard quite a lot of criticism about the tour on Twitter and FB mainly on the topics of 'the bus', 'the shoe' and 'Oliver Thornton'. Well, before I went to see the show, my opinion of the first two was IT'S A TOUR it's obviously going to be a bit different and after reading about the complications with the bus when it opened in Sydney (in the autobiography 'Year of the Queen' by Jeremy Stanford...a blog on this will follow shortly) and after hearing about the problems with the bus in the West End I could see how it would probably be impossible to tour the same bus as was in the West End for such short runs in each venue. On the topic of Oliver (who was Felicia in the West End) I had three thoughts: give Graham Weaver a break he could be amazing as well, secondly, as an actor it wouldn't be very satisfying to go back to the same role which you had already perfect and thirdly the guy may be an acting genius but I doubt he's clever enough to play both Frank in Rocky Horror and Felicia in Priscilla at the same time in two different locations!!!
(P.S. bet you've guessed this is going to be a long one).
Well, anyway, on with my trip and what the REAL thing was actually like...well I picked my friend Sharon up from Grantham station just before 2pm and off we set on our two and a half hour drive to Manchester. After a lot of talking and stopping at a service station and managing to get some free ice from Burger King for our cocktails (thank you lovely Burger King guys) we arrived. After a bit of confusion with where to park we had arrived, well except for the fact we had to find the apartment. Luckily our friend Rob had already arrived and came to find us else in sure we would have walked straight past the place...and oh my! If you ever stay in Manchester you need to stay at the Blue Rainbow Aparthotel Manchester High Street, it's gorgeous beyond words!!!
So after a chat, a Japanese Slipper (thanks to Sharon) and some jelly cocktails (my invention) we headed off to Australasia, the restaurant, for some dinner...well you've got to have Australian food before Priscilla haven't you?
The food in the restaurant was beautiful and the drinks were amazing. The whole concept of the place was just so lovely; especially the entrance which was a glass prism and you had to go down stairs to actually get to the restaurant. We had a good old natter over dinner so much so that we had to run to the theatre, which is not an easy feat at the best of times but Rob had made this amazingly beautiful cake for the cast that was massive and weighed a ton, which made running even harder as we didn't want a squished cake on our hands.
We finally made it to the theatre, got the cake handed into the cloakroom and sat down in our seats (the centre of row C) about 5 minutes before the show was about to start.
And WOW what a show!!! Firstly the curtain was amazing as it had the map on that was shown in London. This was so not expected as was a lovely touch. And then the show, well if you've read my other blogs you'll know how much I love the whole concept anyway but after all the criticism I was a little worried about how different it would be from the West End. Well, have no fear, it's absolutely AMAZING!!! No it's not exactly the same but the changes aren't glaring and the show still works fabulously.
The first major change is the bus, which is now on wheels and could be described as half a bus. For the record half a bus does not mean just the front end as Shazza and I thought, instead it means that the bus is a skeleton with LED lights and four TV screens where the windows should be. And, guess what, for me it really worked, as did the fact the bus was on wheels and was moved around by the cast...no it wasn't the same as the West End version but I really don't see what the fuss is about; for a touring show this is perfect. Another difference was there was no shoe; the only worry I had here was that it didn't look too stable to sit on, other than that I don't think it affected the show too much. Finally, Downtown was replaced with It's Raining Men, which worked really well. I've Never Been to Me was cut, which I was a bit disappointed about as it like the song but it didn't really make too much of a difference. And last but not least, Both Sides Now was replaced with True Colours; I think True Colours was ok but I'll always have an affinity for Both Sides Now as, especially now, it seems to be speaking about my life.
Onto the cast...well I could not have asked for a more brilliantly, talented bunch of lovely people!!! Jason Donovan is brilliant as Tick, even if he's a bit off at the stage door (kind of understandable though...just don't ask for a picture).
Carrying on to Richard Grieve who is the best Bernadette ever!!! He's got such a beautiful voice and is just so Bernadette it's unbelievable! We asked at the stage door whether he preferred playing Tick or Bernadette and he answered Bernadette without pausing; it's so clear from his portrayal of Bernadette that this is the case...I mean he was great as Tick in London but his Bernadette is just out of this world.
And then onto probably the most controversial person in the show as far as the Priscilla world is concerned: Graham Weaver as Felicia. Well, he's not Oliver Thornton...yeah quite obviously he's Graham (just a few different letters in the names!). No it's not the same but then he wouldn't be an incredible actor if he just copied what had been done before, would he? And that's what he is, a totally, incredible actor who is so amazing as Felicia it's unbelievable...his version of Venus is just breath taking and his Confide in Me will send shivers down your spine!!! He offers a beautiful, refreshing version of Felicia and I for one loved it!!!
Now then, the Divas...the beautiful Emma Kingston, Ellie Leah (who is, also, the most hilarious Shirley ever) and Laura Mansell...three women with killer voices and shed loads of attitude. They are just too perfect for words...go girls!!!
Frances Mayli McCann is fabulous as Cynthia. Alan Hunter is truly hilarious as Miss Understanding...anyone who doesn't laugh when he's on stage should be shot...he's pure talent!!! Giles Watling is just so Bob and Julie Stark is the perfect Marion. Not to forget the brilliantly talented Ian Oswald (who sadly we didn't get to see) who is the dance captain of the show and Bleu Woodward, the assistant dance captain, who have just done a fantastic job...brilliance in motion!
Finally, I special mention must go to the super talented Regan Shepherd. He is completely fabulous as Farrah and Young Bernadette and was, also, so gorgeous to us at the stage door. I seriously think if you looked up what a perfect performer should be it so should have Regan's name written there...WOW is all that can be said.
And to all the rest of the fabulous cast...you're just so stunning I could go on forever.
I think you can probably tell I was impressed by the cast, the set, the songs and just everything! Please beg, borrow or steal a ticket...you've just GOT to go...and whilst you're at it take me with you :p.
Well after the show we picked up the cake, delivered it to the stage door, where there was much love by the cast for it, and had a completely fabulous time at the stage door chatting to some of the cast. After that we went and took some pictures outside the theatre then went to the Apothecary cocktail bar and had some weird but very nice cocktails before going back to our lush apartment.
So to wrap up...this was truly everything I could have wanted from a tour of Priscilla and I seriously urge you to go and see it whether you have been before or not you will love it!
I'll leave you with some pictures of my trip. Please message me on Twitter (@GreenGirlsRox) or comment below...I'd love to hear from you :).
 
The enterance to Australaisa Restaurant
 
Me with the amazing Richard  Grieve (Bernadette)
 
Me with the superb Graham Weaver (Felicia)
 
Me with the absolutely faboulous Regan Shepherd (Farrah / Young Bernadette)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posing outside the theatre :)
 

Hope you enjoyed reading about my trip.
Love you lots
Kat
Xx
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see something nice being said about the tour! People have a far too high expectation that a touring version of the show will never live up to. Glad you enjoyed!

    Jay
    http://pocketsizetheatreboy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete