Tuesday 26 March 2013

God I Love A Man in Drag!

Hi guys, I'm back again!!! Going to pick up where I left off from my blog about Once the Musical (please click here to view). So here goes...
Well, we (my friend, Rob, and I) woke up about 6.30-7.00am as breakfast at the hotel finished at the ridiculously early time of 7.30. After eating more than we possibly should (doesn't everyone at buffet hotel breakfasts?) we went back to the room for a quick nap and then down to the hotel pool for a lovely swim. We then packed, left our luggage with the hotel concierge and headed off to Covent Garden to have a wander round. I have to say Convent Garden is definitely the place to go at special times of the year as they have a variety of different decorated Easter Eggs there at the minute. All too soon it was time to leave Covent Garden, head back to the hotel, pick up our luggage, get to Kings Cross, grab a bite to eat (which we needn’t have done) and catch our train back to Grantham…oh and did I mention we would be sitting in 1st class.
Now I’ll tell you something, we wouldn’t normally be able to afford 1st class train tickets but with the aid of a railcard and the fact we were travelling off peak we managed to get two tickets for £28.40…bargain! Well, I could certainly have got used to the treatment we were given as you get a free (well I know it’s in the price of the ticket but still) cup of tea or coffee (not that I drink either but the principle is there), a free shortbread biscuit, a free meal (why we shouldn’t have eaten at the station), a free bottle of water and a free slice of cake…don’t mind if I do!!!
After an hours train ride we arrived back in Grantham, drove back to mine, walked my adorable border collie (Meg) round a very muddy field, ate dinner and headed off for Grimsby, with my mum, where we would be seeing The Rocky Horror Show for the first time…all the while hoping that the snow would hold off. Well, after an hour and a half journey, an inordinate amount of pot holes and only one wrong turn we arrived at the Grimsby Auditorium.
We’d arrived slightly early (an hour early in fact) as we were meeting our friend, Lisa, and her mum and daughter for drinks in the bar before and a lovely catch up. Mum and I, also, brought ourselves feather boas (my house and car are now covered in feathers!) and everyone glow sticks to wave during the song there’s a light (our other friend Sharon had brought us some lights but we’d forgotten them…sorry Sharon). We were, also, rather freaked out as when we were booking Lisa had said that they were sat on the front row but didn’t know where so mum and I had just booked two tickets on the front row and Rob had booked the seat next to us so when we found out that Lisa’s seats were the ones directly next to ours we were very happy if not a little freaked out by the coincidence.
AND THEN…the show began. Now I had been slightly worried that I wasn’t going to like it, especially as at that point I had 6 other tickets, but I shouldn’t have been worried at all because it was FABULOUS!!! The whole show is just a feel good factor from start to finish and actually makes quite a poignant comment about living a life of sex and debauchery. What was, also, amazing was that during The Time Warp the whole audience rose to their feet (mid show) and danced along, in addition to people calling out…to say it seemed like a very warped pantomime would rather wrong but, also, rather right…if you get my jist.
The set was quite quirky and rather retro with the main backdrop being shaped like a film reel. It was obvious by the set that the show was trying to stay true to its roots in the 70’s which was a really nice touch, in my opinion.
And then we come to the cast…   
Sam Attwater as Brad was fantastic, He was incredibly quirky and very funny, in addition to complementing Roxanne Pallett’s Janet to perfection…in fact these two seemed to be a perfect pairing. His voice was great for the role of Brad and he performed the songs to just the right level.
Roxanne Pallett as Janet was completely brilliant and was great at putting across the sweet, innocent little girl turn slut. As mentioned her pairing with Sam was perfect. Her voice was, also, great and she made some very cute and quirky facial expressions that just seemed right for Janet’s character.
Philip Franks was amazing as the narrator and seemed to have this sinister, all knowing look in his eye that was perfect for the role.
Joel Montague was great as Eddie but particularly blew me away with his humour as Dr Scott at the end of the show.
Harry Neale was a very funny, vocally strong, oh and incredibly fit and muscular Rocky; it almost seemed like this role was made for him.
Kristian Lavercombe was truly out of this world as Riff Raff…I really don’t think there are the words to describe how amazing he was in this role. Yet another role that appeared to have been made for the actor.
Abigail Jaye (Magenta) and Ceris Hine (Columbia) were, also, fantastic, especially Ceris’ section in The Time Warp.  
However, the person who stole the show was Oliver Thornton as Frank-N-Furter. Now anyone who is a regular to my blog will know that Oliver used to play Adam/Felicia in Priscilla and that there has been some controversy with his not taking up this role in the tour. Well, other than the fact that Graham Weaver (the guy who is Adam/Felicia in the Priscilla tour) is absolutely fantastic in the role, I don’t see how anyone who has watched Oliver’s portrayal of Frank would want him to go back. His portrayal of Felicia was always so amazing and clean-cut but his portrayal of Frank is out of this world; it’s like he’s somehow managed to step up another gear from perfect. He is sexy, cheeky, naughty, incredibly hot and has a brilliant vocal range…oh and a body that everyone is the audience (both men and women) would love to have…it seriously should be illegal for a man to have legs that good! I seriously cannot see Oliver playing any other role at the moment; he is so Frank that it is unbelievable…although I suppose this is what makes an amazing actor. What’s more is that I’m pretty sure that everyone in the audience could see this as the place literally erupted when he entered for Sweet Transvestite and the applause he received at the end of the show was deafening. The whole cast are amazing but this man just takes performance to a whole other level…wow!!!
So, my overall verdict is that whatever you are doing you have to go and book for this show! In actual fact as soon as we got back to my house Rob and I booked Behind the Basque tickets for us and Lisa to see the show on the 20th June in Manchester!
I hope you have enjoyed reading about my first trip to see Rocky Horror. I’ll leave you with some pictures of the start of my day in London and from my time at Rocky Horror.
 The Easter Eggs at Covent Garden
 
 Me and Abigail Jaye (Magenta)
 
 Me and Joel Montague (Eddie/Dr Scott)
 
 Me and Harry Neale (Rocky)
 
 Me and Kristian Lavercombe (Riff Raff)
 
 Me and Roxanne Pallett (Janet)
 
Me, Rob and Lisa in the Auditorium
 
Have any of you been to see Rocky Horror? If so what did you think? I love to hear from you either by commenting below or tweeting me at @GreenGirlsRox
Love you lots
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment