Thursday 28 March 2013

Musical of the Month - The Child in Us

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well as this rather snowy March draws to a close. I have to say that someone must have been looking down on me as despite all the snow and bad weather I have managed to make every theatre trip I had planned...thank you whoever you are.
Now I normally find it quite easy to pick which musical will be Musical of the Month, however, with the amount of shows I've seen this month I've found it rather hard to focus on one in particular...oh well that's an outright lie but as much as some people, you know who you are, wouldn't care if I wrote review after review about Priscilla I do know that that's not what everyone wants to read. So what have I picked...well I've kind of cheated a little, well actually a lot, as I haven't actually seen this and it's not actually a musical...however, after reading it I desperately want to draw it to your attention.
As you'll know from my little bio at the right side of this blog I'm a 2nd year drama student...well for a second semester this year we're studying contemporary theatre, which means reading lots and lots of plays that have been written by playwrights who are still alive. To me the majority of these plays are ok but never come close to my beloved musicals...well except for the one I am going to tell you about today.
The play in question is Adult Child/Dead Child by Claire Dowie. Now as I've said, I've never actually seen this play but from reading to 12 pages of script (yes it's only 12 pages long) the play really touched something inside me.
Adult Child/Dead Child is basically one really long monologue from a non-gendered character who has schizophrenia. The play looks at its character's life and what led to the condition manifesting and what he/she has done to control it.
Although the character in the play specifically has schizophrenia, I think what touched me about this play was that it could really be referring to anyone. Everyone in the world has some sort of problem; maybe not as big as your parents locking you in a cupboard as the character's parents do (although for some this is a reality) but everyone has a problem of some sort.
Additionally, the character in the play finally started managing to cope when two things happened. 1. He/she found someone who listened to them, really listened, and didn't think that what he/she was going on about was silly or childish...a person who just sat there, listened and understood what this problem meant to the character and that it wouldn't just go away, instead that the character could be taught to cope through friendship. And 2. He/she found something that made him/her happy.
To me these two things are what the majority of people, not just the character with schizophrenia, need in life to survive. We all need at least one person who will listen to our problems and not judge us (and hopefully we repay them by doing the same for them) because keeping it bottled up can drive us mad, as we see from the character in the play. We, also, need to find the one thing that can make us happy in life; this may be a dog (like the character in the play), playing football, cooking, or, most probably for the majority of you reading this blog, going to see your favourite theatre show (bet you can't guess what mine is? :p).
So I urge all of you to go and find a copy of this play and read it or, if you’re lucky enough for it to be on in your area, go and watch it. It certainly inspired me, so much so that, with my friend from uni's direction, I hope to put on a performance of it.
 
I'd love to hear your comments on what you thought of this blog and, hopefully, what you thought of the play. Please feel free to comment below or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox (although apparently according to the new Twitter there's something about either I need to follow you or you me for me to see your comment...I'm not sure so any info on this would, also, be useful!).
Hope you all have a wonderful Easter and a great April.
Love you lots
Love
Kat
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment