Wednesday 17 July 2013

Taking Off the Heels and Make-Up of Rocky Horror (Spoiler Alert)

Heya everyone, hope you're loving all this sunny English weather...and to those of you who aren't English, hope you're having great weather too! So my last theatre trip was a road trip down to Cardiff, with my friend Ellie and her friend Mandy (who is really nice as well), to see Rocky Horror again. 
To put things in perspective I live in Lincolnshire (East Midlands) so am about 200miles away from Cardiff...crazy right!!! Well, after some crazy singing, a few wrong turns, a car boot that wouldn't open and a pit stop to buy and fill up with windscreen washer fluid we arrived at the Travelodge in boiling hot Wales! We then relaxed for a bit before grabbing a bite to eat at the conveniently placed Weatherspoons next door before donning our outfits and heading off to the theatre. 
Now I have been to see Rocky Horror three times already (please click here the locations to view: Grimsby, Cambridge and Manchester) so I've decided to do this review a little bit differently. I will start, however, with the few differences from the last time I went...
The differences with this performance were that Rhydian from the X Factor was playing Rocky. He actually surprised me in being a better than I had expected him to be. 
The theatre was, also, a bit smaller than Manchester (and had ridiculously too few ladies loos...I know most theatres don't have many but this was simply crazy!) and I was a bit disappointed by the atmosphere...I mean the cast were still on fire and Oliver Thornton was still perfection in motion but the audience weren't quite as hyper as they had been when I saw the show at Manchester...although this could be seen as a good thing as it meant I could practice my shouting out..."Just one big one!".
However, what I really wanted to talk about in this blog is the message of Rocky Horror. I think I may have skimmed over this briefly in past reviews but I'd like to go into a bit more depth...please prepare for me to go full drama nerd! Oh and, also, be warned there are some MAJOR SPOILERS...if you don't want to know the plot it's probably best if you stop reading now!
For the majority of the show it would appear that there isn't really a message and that the show is just fun...well I suppose the whole show may appear like this to some. However, as it says in my bio at the side I study drama at uni and, anyway, I always like to look into a show to see what meaning can be taken from it and applied to the my everyday life...maybe I look too deeply into these things but I really do think theatre is there to teach people things (please click here to see my blog on this). 
To start off let's take Brad and Janet, two seemingly normally young adults who seem to come out of a time of innocence where everyone was nice and weddings and your woman cooking tea were all that mattered. These two then get corrupted into a world if debauchery and sexual pleasure when their car breaks down and they decide to try the castle down the road for a phone. To me, Brad and Janet seem to portray how easily innocence can be corrupted and suggest that being a bit worldly wise about the constantly changing world (rather than sticking your head in the sand) can save you from corruption...after all look at Riff Raff, Magenta and Dr Scott. 
The three characters previously mentioned all demonstrate some knowledge of the world and the corruption that goes on in it yet none appear to fully succumb to it. Riff Raff and Magenta act along with Frank and his life of overindulgence and sexual pleasure yet we never see them in any sort of sexual manner. And it is suggested (despite his German twinges) that Dr Scott has been sent to by a government to put a stop to Frank's way of life and to end the corruption that takes place in the castle. By the end of the play these are the only three characters who have not changed for the worst which to me can be surmised to be because of the fact that they know of the corruption that goes on in the world but do not fully enter into it. 
And then we come to the most interesting character in the show...Frank, the main man himself; the epitome of corruption. Frank lives a life of sexual indulgence and expects everyone to bow before him. I always love to hear Columbia's line to him, "You chew people up and then you spit them out again...You're like a sponge. You take, take, take, and drain others of their love and emotion." as it just sums up the character of Frank; the only person he cares about is himself. It is because of this corruption, self-indulgence and caring only for himself that Frank ends up dead. To me this can teach people a lot particularly when combined with the fact that Columbia dies because she cares too much about someone who only cares for them self...in this world there is a fine balance that will lead to survival and happiness which involves sometimes putting others before yourself but making sure that those who you do would do the same for you...we can't go around treating people like dirt because all too soon we'll look around as see that there's no one there to really care for us. 
So there is a great deal that can be taken from this supposedly 'just for fun' show. I don't know whether you'll agree with it all, maybe you'll have found something different in it, but this is my opinion and what I get from it. 
I'll leave you with two things...a picture from my trip (and yes I've dressed up...there's nothing wrong with having fun at Rocky Horror, it's just, in my opinion, there's a bit more to it than that)...and a quote from the show for you to ponder, "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space, and meaning.".
 
 
Me Outside the Theatre
 
I hope you enjoyed reading my views, as mentioned they are just my opinions...but I'd love to hear what you get out of the show. Please either comment below or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox. 
Love
Kat
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment