Monday 23 March 2015

Here Are A Few Of My Favourite Songs

Hi everyone, here's another bit of a different post. I've been rather enjoying doing this type of post...one that focuses on the world of theatre rather than on a show itself. Here are some of the most recent ones I've done:

Anyway, I decided to do my top 5 favourite Musical Theatre songs. However, I got a bit stuck and ended up with 20 but knew this would be too many to write about so I managed to rank them in some sort of order and thought I'd give some more detailed reasons as to why the first five are my favourites and then just list the others with a simple word or phrase...hopefully I won't go on for ever then!

So here goes...

1. Defying Gravity from Wicked and Colour My World from Priscilla - okay, okay, I know this is technically cheating at the first hurdle but I just couldn't pick between the two as I love them both equally but for different reasons...and if anyone's ever wondered why the address for my blog is stageright11@blogspot.com rather than just stageright, well it's because both these songs are number 11 on the CD listings so it's my little dedication to them. Anyway, as to why they are my favourite songs, well Defying Gravity is my go to "I can beat the world" song; to me it's one of those songs that gives me confidence to fight my demons and face the world when I'm feeling down. As for Colour My World, I think this is simply the happiest song on the planet and can normally cheer me up no matter what...I just love it!
2. Let's Go Fly a Kite from Mary Poppins - I've always loved this song as it's cute and uplifting, however, I really fell in love with it when I saw the Disney film Saving Mr Banks as the scene this song feature in the film is just so gorgeous it will endure anyone to tears! Needless to say I'm majorly excited for the Mary Poppins tour and will definitely be seeing it at least once.


3. Naughty from Matilda - I like to think that the word 'little' in this song can have two meanings...little being small, or young like Matilda is or little meaning just one person, a solo force. If you're thinking of it being the latter way, the song can have quite a lot of meaning for everyone (not just children) as it's saying that even though you're just one person you can make a big difference if you want to. I, also, love the other message that it gives, which is: only you have the power to chance you future. This is such an inspiring song and what with the music being written by Tim Minchin it just makes it perfect!

4.  The Deal/No Deal from Chess - This is a monster if a song being over ten minutes long and whilst it is all epic, my favourite bit comes around the 8.10 mark on the Chess in Concert CD (Full Version). At this point there's a build up in the music that is just spine tingling before bursting in with the lyrics, "Who'd ever think of such a squalid, little ending; watching you defending just as low as you can go. I'm learning things I didn't want to know..." and so on. The staccato notes make the music very dramatic and it's the perfect end to such an epic song. Plus there's the added bonus of the Chess in Concert CD having Idina Menzel and Kerry Ellis performing on it who just so happen to be my favourite female performers.

5. Lost in the Wilderness from Children of Eden - This song is all about freedom; the want and desire to be able to do whatever you want in the world. It's about trying to throw off the shackles someone else has put on you. And, in a similar sense to what Naughty does, it says that sometimes you have to break the rules so that you can be free to do what you want. In simple terms, once again, it's a song of inspiration. Team this with the fact that it's, also, a song sung by a character, Cain, who is normally thought of as bad (he goes on to kill his brother, Abel), however, the song portrays his in a different light...much like Elphaba is displayed in Wicked. Talking of a Wicked connections, let's just say Stephan Schwartz has written many other stunning musical songs, and this just happens to be one of them.

6. What I Did for Love from A Chorus Line - A gorgeous song about how far someone will go for love, but not just any love, rather the love of a career...to me this makes the song extra special.

7. Part of Your World from The Little a Mermaid - The words are great but it's the melody that makes this song...simply beautiful.


8. Last Night of the World from Miss Saigon - A range of emotions that shows how all encompassing love is...plus the music is to die for.


9. Three-Five-Zero-Zero from Hair - Different yet very poignant.


10.  The Life I Never Led from Sister Act - Sweet, gentle with a secret strength to drive it.

11. A Man Like You from The Witchfinder - Quite unknown but it's a love song that will melt your heart. 

12. Don't Say Goodbye from Peter Pan - The perfect way to leave someone...there's a gentle, comforting feeling to it.

13. When I Grow Up from Matilda - It's a tear jerker anyway but when you're sat in the stall the the swings go above your head (you'll know what I mean if you've seen the show/watch YouTube clips) it's magical, pure and simple.
14. Watch What Happens from Newsies - Driving and powerful...and it's sung by someone called Katherine, what more could you want!?!

15. Wishing for the Normal from Soho Cinders - A pretty yet quirky love song.


16. Let the Sun Shine from Hair - It may be strange but it's the verse I love of this because of its powerful message.

17. Take it Like a Man from Legally Blonde - The line, "That's the best part, the outside is new but now it reflect what's already in you..." sells it to me every time.

18. Anthem from Chess - The ultimate hair raising, power song.

19. The Snooker Song from The Hunting of the Snark - Funny, quirky and takes me back to my childhood...does anyone else remember Jim Davidson's Big Break on TV?

20. Dancing Through Life from Wicked - Quite a long one but this was this inspiration for my dissertation, "The trouble with school us they always try to teach the wrong lessons."...and it makes me dream of Oliver Tompsett, swoon!



I hope you've enjoyed seeing what my favourite songs are, I'd love to hear yours so feel free to either comment below or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox, and remember to follow this blog and my Instagram to keep up to date with all my theatrical goings on :)

Love you all
Kat

xx

2 comments:

  1. Great choices. Some I've not heard of but the ones I have, I also like. But why is there no Made In Dagenham on here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks...basically because there were too many songs to choose from, I could have easily done my top 100 but that would of gone on too long.

    ReplyDelete