Saturday 28 March 2015

A Song Played on a Solo Saxophone...Falling in Love With Miss Saigon

Hi everyone, I incredibly happy this month as I've (well really you've) managed to topple my previous month's record for number of page views by over 100...I'm currently on 844 and would love to get up to 1,000 for the month so tell your friends, family and the man standing on the street with a dog and don't forget to share on Facebook and retweet on Twitter.

Anyway, enough rambling on about viewings, what this post is really about is my trip to see Miss Saigon on 19th March. Now I hadn't planned on seeing Miss Saigon, I was actually hoping to see Made in Dagenham again but being rather silly I'd forgotten that it didn't have a matinee on a Thursday...oops! Well, I'd found out when I was travelling down to my physio appointment (the whole reason I was in London anyway) that two of my friends were down to see Niall in Miss Saigon so I decided to go and see that instead.

Now, to put it in perspective I'd already seen the show once in August last year but had not been too impressed and didn't think I'd be going back anytime soon but the temptation of seeing something with friends and actually being sociable rather that seeing something on my own convinced me to venture back. However, I was really pleased I did as I completely fell in love with it. I don't know whether I enjoyed it more this time because I'd already seen it before so knew what was coming up in the plot so could relax into it a bit more or what...but where as last time I walked out thinking "Well, that was weird!" this time I walked out thinking, "Wow, that was beautiful!".

Now I've really liked the CD since around this time last year but now I get the feeling it's going to be one of those that is really hard to remove from my CD player. I think what's so nice about it is the different styles of that it features, you can go from a jazzy, funky number (normally sung by the Engineer) to a slow yet powerful ballad and then to a domineering chant...it's a soundtrack that keeps you on your toes and just keeps delivering with every track. If any of you read my blog about my favourite songs you'll see that The Last Night of the World made it to number 8 (click here to view the full blog), and this is my favourite song from the show mainly because of the spine tingling music at the end but also because of the beauty of the words. However, I do, also, love all of the Engineer's songs, particularly The Anerican Dream, as well as Why God...which I have to say that this song makes me want to be a man just so I can sing it properly! Overall, the soundtrack is one of the most stunning I've ever heard...just listen to it, please :)

As for the acting, I thought the majority of the cast was brilliant. However, I do have one negative comment to do with this, which is I didn't particularly like Tamsin Carroll who played Ellen, I don't know whether she was just having an off day but to me her voice didn't match the rest of the cast's. Now to be more positive...we had two understudies, Kurt Kansley played John and Niall Sheehy played Chris. Both were absolutely epic and unless you'd been told they were understudies you wouldn't have know. This particularly goes for Niall whose portrayal of Chris was a beautiful depiction of the young, enigmatic but complex man that he is...plus Niall is very, very easy on the eye too, swoon! The other two actors who blew me away were Jon Jon Briones as the Engineer, who was funny and could pull off a pair of pink/red snakeskin flares, additionally, Eva Noblezada as Kim was fantastic for someone who has never been in a West End production before Siagon; she managed to display the frailty yet determination of Kim perfectly. 

Finally, I must comment, without trying to give too much of the plot away, on Kim's age. I know it says in The Heat is on in Saigon that she's 17 but watching the show this time it really struck me quite how young she was. It particularly for me at the climax of the story how powerful Kim's actions were for someone so young when I realised that she was probably around 21 which is how old I am at the moment; the thought of having to make decisions like she did makes me have the highest respect for her character and all she's been through. 

So, to round up I'd definitely say you should go and see Miss Siagon, and if you're like me and saw it once and was a bit underwhelmed, please go back and give it one more chance...I am so pleased that I did!
Programme, CD and Ticket
Me with Niall Sheehy




















I hope you enjoyed reading about my time at Miss Siagon, if you have any comments please feel free to comment below or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox, and don't forget to follow this blog and my Instagram.

Love you all
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment