Monday 10 June 2013

Going South!?!

Well hello everyone and here we are in June. I have finally finished uni for the year but somehow seem to be busier than ever what with having my Grade 5 music theory exam in under two weeks (arrrgghh...not that I'm panicking or anything :p). As well as this my friend from uni and I have started rehearsals for the production of Adult Child / Dead Child that we are putting on in October...if you want more information about this please click here to view our blog/live diary which will feature pictures and sound and video clips from our rehearsals. 
But enough of all that...I'm here right now to tell you about my latest theatre visit on 29th May, which was to see Priscilla in Southampton. I'm going to try and keep it short as I have already blogged 3 times about it (to view them please click the numbers 1, 2, 3). 
So what had changed? Well the part with the road kill animals had been cut; I don't know if this is permanent or just happened that night but I know they'd had a few difficulties with it the times I'd seen the show before. 
The audience was, also, rather disappointingly empty which meant that the atmosphere want as electric as it had been in Wimbledon (however I think it may be hard to match that). However, by the end the audience had got into the swing of things and people were dancing around during the last song. 
Sadly Alan Hunter (Miss Understanding) was ill but this did mean I got to see Regan Shepherd (Farrah/Young Bernadette) perform Miss Understanding who was fabulous. I love both these guys and it was nice to see Regan do Miss Understanding and he brought a different twist to the role. However, I do love it when both of them are in the show...my dream is to go to one of the performances when Alan is Bernadette and Regan is Miss Understanding...now I feel that would be good. 
Another casting change was that Noel Sullivan was playing Tick instead of Jason Donovan. Now he didn't look as much like Tick as Donovan did and was a tad too young boyish for my liking, also, the Neighbours joke really didn't work as he didn't have the connection that Donovan did. However, Noel was vocally stronger and I really enjoyed seeing the part played different. By the end I'd come to the conclusion that if you mushed Noel and Jason together you'd get the perfect Tick. 
The other major change was that this performance was signed. I know some people are a bit dubious about seeing a signed performance as it may be rather distracting but I actually really enjoyed it...I think the sign guy (Andy Higgins) was a bit shocked when I whooped as he re-entered after the interval. I did find myself focusing on him quite a bit but as I'd seen the show before it doesn't really matter and it was interesting to see how he signed some of the Priscilla-ism. I have to say my favourite part was when Bernadette is explaining why Trumpet was called Trumpet (he had a very large foreskin, so large that it could cover a ginger nut biscuit) which is sign language was hilarious...I'm not sure if there are any more signed performances but if there are I urge you to go just to see this bit!
All in all I had a great time (and yes I managed to get on stage again) and fully inducted my half-sister, Jude, and other half-sister’s daughter, Jessie, to the show. I, also, had a great time seeing the rest of my family who live down there and do need to thank my half-sister, Felicity, for letting us stay :). 
Before I go I'll leave you with a few pictures of my visit:
 
 
Me in the Theatre
 
Me with Graham Weaver (Felicia)
 
Me and Richard Grieve (Bernadette)
 
Me and Regan Shepherd (Farrah/Young Bernadette + this time's Miss Understanding)
 
All that's left to say is that I hope you enjoyed reading this. Have any of you seen Priscilla? If so what did you think? I'd love to hear from you either by commenting below of tweeting me at @GreenGirlsRox. 
Love you lots
Kat
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment