Tuesday 25 June 2013

Making Things Up Again...

Hello everyone again...here's the second post of four about the shows I saw in the past few days...hope you're keeping up so far.
Well, after reading my last blog, you'll know that I'd just seen Rocky Horror in Manchester so that meant last Friday (21st June) consisted of driving back to my home town Lincolnshire to drop my friends Holly and Ellie off before picking up my mum to head to London for a mad couple of days which would include seeing West End Live and The Book of Mormon...it is the latter which this blog is all about.
Well the journey down to London was pretty smooth and getting to our hotel was relatively easy, especially when compared to finding the Travelodge in Manchester! It was then time to set off for some dinner and a cocktail at one of the Bella Italia's in Leicester Square before heading over to The Prince of Wales Theatre to see The Book of Mormon.
I was extremely excited about seeing this as it is the latest big thing in London with the tickets being the hottest thing to have in the West End...and there my mum and I were with some! Like with most theatres pictures were forbidden, however, in most you can normally get a sneaky one of the stage curtain but not here...any sign on a photo being taken and you were pounced on! The curtain itself was a not very impressive blue-y colour, nevertheless, the sides of the proscenium arch were made up of pillars with stained glass windows and at the top of the arch in the centre was a gold statue which twirled round as each act began.
We were seated about two or three rows back and just off centre so had a really good view. However, in terms of the seats themselves they were not the most comfortable in the world...but let's not dwell on that.
Ad then the show began...and well what can I say...it was the oddest thing I have ever watched! For most of it I sat there wondering what on earth was going on...especially in the song 'Spooky Mormon Hell Dream'. However, despite all this I can honestly say I LOVED IT!
There were two things that really struck me about the show...firstly it was nowhere near as rude as I was expecting. It was definitely offensive if you took things too seriously but it was nowhere near as rude as Avenue Q, especially as the first three songs passed without any swear words! The other thing that struck me was that for a musical which takes the piss out of a religion it has a very strong religious message...it doesn't matter how you come to God just as long as you do, as well as promoting the fact that everyone has value of some sort.
I have to say that I don't think The Book of Mormon is really for the big fans of shows like Les Mis, Phantom and Once as it is rather cheesy and camp, however, you'll never know unless you give it a go. That's all I can really say about the plot as it truly was a very absurd musical...just go and see it for yourself.
The effects and costumes during the show were, for the most part, pretty standard...that is until you go to songs like 'Man Up', 'Spooky Mormon Hell Dream' and, my personal favourite, 'Turn it Off' where there was tap dancing in the dark!
As for the cast, both Gavin Creel (Elder Price) and Jared Gertner (Elder Cummingham) were hilarious and work very well together as a team. Alexia Khadime was amazing as Nabulungi and her performance of 'Baptise Me' with Gertner was so funny! It was, also, lovely to see Olivia Phillip (part of the ensemble) again after last seeing her at West End Bares and watching her as a Diva in Priscilla before that. Overall, the cast were all fabulous and deserved the standing ovation they got.
I, also, managed to get a few pictures of my trip...
 
The Theatre
 
Me Outside the Theatre
 
So there we have it, the hottest show in town, The Book of Mormon...let's just say that seeing is believing!
Have any of you seen the Book of Mormon? If so what do you think? I'd love to hear from you either by commenting below or tweeting me at @GreenGirlsRox
Love you all#
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment