Sunday 30 December 2012

Musical of the Month - Money and Magic

Happy Christmas and happy New Year to my wonderful readers! Hope you're all well at this festive time of year. Anyway, I thought I better get going with this month’s Musical of the Month.
Well this month I thought I'd do a show that completely blew me away when I saw it and when it came on my iPod I remembered how much I'd enjoyed it. The musical in question is How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
I saw this when I was lucky enough to go to New York nearly two years ago. I remember wanting to go and see something that wasn't over in the West End so we asked the advisor at our hotel what she'd recommend and she recommended this. She, also, said that Daniel Radcliffe was in it as the lead. Now as a major Harry Potter can I was quite excited, however, the age old doubt of celebrities is musicals resurfaced. I know Dan had acted on the stage before but I'd never seen him and was very worried about his ability to sing and dance!
The next evening we headed over to the Al Hirschfeld Theatre and were handed our playbills (free of charge...Broadway is certainly better that the West End in that respect!) before taking our seats. Well the curtains opened and wow for the next few hours I was carried away into another world!
Now the show itself isn't particularly spectacular...I mean there's not clever scenery, fancy lighting or amazing special effects but the story, the performance and the songs were just wow!
The story is very funny and extremely clever and very, very real! I don't want to go into too much depth in case any of you ever get the chance to see it.
The songs were very quirky and funny and I still love listening to them now. My absolute favourite has to be Brotherhood of Man which is just fantastically clever, witty and a beautiful uplifting piece. My one criticism is that although I find the songs good, they may not be as amazing of you haven't seen the show, however, I'd still recommend that you try them out!
And finally the performance...firstly as a Fosse show you'd expect the dancing to be second to none...well it was better than that, it was a gazillions times better than Chicago...WOW just WOW is all I can say. The actual performers were brilliant with all of them being perfectly tuned to each other. I was particularly impressed by John Larroquette who was incredibly funny and just exceptional. However, the person who really stole the show was Dan...and I'm not just saying that as a Harry Potter fan, he was literally superb! Not only was his acting amazing (kinda to be expected) but his singing and dancing were out of this world! I'll attach a video so you can all watch in awe and wonder. I think what made it better was that it was totally not expected. I think it is safe to say that Dan definitely has the crown of best celebrity in a show ever!!!
After the show I decided go to the stage door expecting a similar thing to the West End...how wrong was I!!! The whole theatre had turned out and there were barriers and police men who kept telling people off from standing on the road! I managed to get a pic of Dan's hat and that was it but it was lovely to see such support for the actors!!!
Overall, this was a brilliant show and I'd recommend anyone who gets the chance to see it or Dan on stage to take it! I, also recommend you all to have a look at the YouTube videos! I definitely think this is a very worthy musical of the month!
Have any of you had the chance to see How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying? If so what did you think? What do you think of the YouTube videos?
Hope you're all having a great time at this festive time of year.
Lots of love
Kat
xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment