Tuesday 29 January 2013

Musical of the Month - A Gala Affair

Hey everyone, how's January been for you? Mine's been manic to say the least; going to London twice, having a massive drama assessment at uni, trying to finish my postmodernism (don't ask!) essay in time, meeting up with one of my Priscilla friends for the first time, oh and booking 2 more tickets to see Rocky Horror in Nottingham with some of my best friends (p.s. we got the last 4 seats on the front row which I'm mega happy about!)...so overall a very hectic month!
Anyway, while I was doing all this, I rediscovered a CD to a show I was lucky enough to go to the gala concert of last year, which brings us to this month’s Musical of the Month, Children of Eden. It is even more poignant that Children on Eden is the Musical of the Month as it is exactly a year today that I saw it!
I first heard the music on the amazing local radio show Westenders (for more info click here) and was particularly enamoured because it was written by Stephan Schwartz who, also, wrote Wicked...one of my all-time favourite musicals. The music is amazing; so powerful and moving, it's literally the most perfect soundtrack you could ever wish for. I love all the songs but my personal favourites are: The Spark of Creation; Lost in the Wilderness; A Piece of Eight; Stranger to the Rain; The Hardest Part of Love; and Ain't It Good...yes that's a lot if songs but there are 37 on the soundtrack so 6 favourites isn't too bad!
Anyway, ever since hearing the soundtrack I had wanted to hear the show so when it was announced there was to be a Gala Concert of the show in aid of Crohn's and Colitis UK. I was very tempted. Then I heard Russell Grant (not everyone's cup of tea but I'm a massive Strictly fan!) was going to be in it and I was a little bit more tempted. THEN...I heard Kerry Ellis would be performing at the end and I was a little more tempted! AND THEN I heard Oliver Thornton, my all-time favourite performer, would be in it and I couldn't resist any longer and just had to call the box office.
Finally, after a very long wait, the day came (29th January 2012)...my friend, Alys, and I travelled down to London and after checking in at the hotel, donning our personally made Children of Eden hoodies and having some dinner it was off to the Prince of Wales Theatre we went. When we arrived there was quite a big queue outside to get in, suddenly the woman behind us exclaimed, "Oh My God, you've got my son's name on your hoodies!". It turned out it was Aaron Sidwell's (who was playing Ham) mum and we had quite a nice chat with her.
Soon it was time to enter the theatre, buy out programmes (which we were very lucky to get as they sold out!), cast photographs and signed posters before taking our seats. We were sat on the very right hand side of the auditorium in the middle in what were apparently restricted view seats but I knew from seeing Mamma Mia in these seats that the problem was you could actually see into the wings so in fact they were 'extended view'!
And then the show started...it was just perfect! Like a typical Gala Concert there wasn't much theatricality but then this was to be expected. The set that had been created consisted of some stage boxes and a rather impressive lighting display which was a series of light bulbs hung together...it doesn't sound like much but to me its simplicity and elegance impressed me.
The story of the show is split into two with the first act being the Bible story of Adam and Eve and the second act being that of Noah. Although the story was obviously quite religious I still think you could have enjoyed it if you were not that way inclined as it was still an incredibly moving tale that spoke of love and acceptance on so many levels.
And now we come to the performers...I'll just do a brief review of each as there was too many fabulous actors to go into too much detail!
Well, let’s start with Oliver (who played Adam) as he was my main reason for going. I think the only word is phenomenal! I know I'm slightly biased on this point but he was absolutely amazing...such a talented actor with an amazing voice.
Louise Dearman played Eve and was amazing. She's got such a beautiful voice and she suited the feistiness of the character down to a T!!!
Gareth Gates was Cain and although I'm not too big a fan of his I thought he was quite fantastic and his performance of Lost in the Wilderness was so dramatic and passionate.
John Wilding played Abel and was probably the only person who I thought was ok. He wasn't the most amazing actor in the show but wasn't bad...I suppose it doesn't help when you're surrounded by absolutely fantastic people.
Anton Stephans was Father and possessed such dominance in the role; he was definitely a force to be reckoned with.
Russell Grant was The Snake...now I know quite a few people weren't amazed by his performance but I actually really enjoyed it...maybe it's my Strictly bias but that's my opinion anyway. Plus he tweeted us during the interval which added a little extra sparkle to the night!
Tom Pearce was a lovely Noah and portrayed the strong yet gentle character with great feeling. As did Waylon Jacobs in his character of Japeth...such a believable, beautiful performance by the two of them.
Lauren Samuels was such a beautiful Yonah and her version of Stranger to the Rain was so heartfelt...truly amazing!
Aaron Sidwell was amazing as Ham and really made the character come alive.
One of the most brilliant performances though was Brenda Edwards as Mama Noah. She was just phenomenal which could clearly be seen by the fact she got a standing ovation at the end of her main song, Ain't it Good! Trust me it took about 10 minutes for the audience to calm down after she'd finished!
Mentions must also go to Daisy Tonge (Aphra), Daniella Bowen (Aysha), Jamie Papanicolaou (Shem), Ben Radcliffe (Young Cain) and Marcus Billany (Young Abel) as well as to the Storytellers Craig Rhys Barlow, Matt Brinkler, Chloe Hart, Jo Kirkland, Robbie Scotcher and Gemma Sandzer all of whom were incredibly brilliant and talented. And finally, an extra special mention to the dancers (all Priscilla boys) John Brannoch, Steven Cleverley, Will Peaco and John Phoenix...some of the best dancers in the world.
See what I mean, if I went into any more detail we'd be here til next Christmas!
At the end of the show, and a full 10 minute standing ovation, the book writer John Caird got on stage and spoke a little bit about the show, as did the shows director, Drew Baker, to who's sister the show was dedicated. Both these speeches were really touching and added a little sparkle to the show.
To end the performance Kerry Ellis made a special performance to sing Heal the World, which was a song written by Vaughan Kennedy specially, in aid of Crohn's (please click here to take a listen). The song was so moving in itself with lyrics that really touched the heart (I don't think I've ever cried so much) and to be sung by the amazing Kerry Ellis...perfection is all I can say.
After another 10 minute standing ovation we left the theatre and like any true theatre goer headed to the stage door, which was completely packed. However, although we managed to get our programmes signed by Oliver, not too many of the cast came out as there was an after show party (which sadly we hadn't known you could but tickets for) but rather than being sane, sensible people we figured they would have to come out of the after show party at some point so decided to wait in the theatre foyer until then. This was the best decision ever as there was only one other guy waiting, who we had quite a nice chat to, which meant that we got to have nice long chats with the performers as they came out. One of the highlights of this was we spent approximately half an hour talking to the writer, John Caird, who was incredibly impressed with our hoodies that we'd made. We, also got to meet Russell Grant (who was lovely to us), Antonio Stephans, John Wilding, Gareth Gates, Tom Pearce (who was really lovely especially as we caught him outside the theatre and he chatted for a bit even though he was turning blue with cold!), Aaron Sidwell and Oliver Thornton (who was amazing and is such a lovely chap...a true gent!). So you can see, as I said, the wait was completely worth it and was the perfect way to finish the perfect evening!
Overall, this was one of the best nights of my life and I will remember the magic of it forever! On a final note, I would highly recommend that you buy the CD even if you didn't see the show as the music is just breath-taking!!! I'll leave you with the official cast pictures and some of the pictures I got on the night...
 

Our view of the stage
 
Signed Poster
 
Signed Programme
 
Me and Alys with Russell Grant
 
Me with Tom Pearce (it was very cold!)
 
Alys and Me with Oliver Thornton
 
Official Cast Pictures (left-right, top-bottom)
Brenda Edwards, Tom Pearce, Russell Grant, Anton Stephans, Louise Dearman, John Wilding, Kerry Ellis, Oliver Thornton, Oliver Thornton, Gareth Gates, Lauren Samuels and Waylon Jacobs.

 
Did any of you manage to see Children of Eden? If so what do you think? Please let me know either by commenting below or tweeting me at @GreenGirlsRox...I'd love to hear from you.
Love you lots
Kat
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment