Friday 18 January 2013

I Dreamed a Dream...

Hi my lovely readers, hope you're all well! Well it's time for the inevitable Les Mis film post...sorry this hasn't been done earlier (I'm appalled that it's a week since I saw the film and I haven't posted yet!) but I've been busy writing an essay on postmodernism (don't ask!) for uni so haven't had much time for blogging. Anyway here we go...please note there may be spoilers ahead so if you haven't watch the film yet go and do so and then come back and continue reading!!!
Well...I went to see Les Mis last Friday and I cannot tell you how excited I was for this film...I'd even brought tickets as soon as they'd come out just to make sure I got them. It was lucky I did as people were actually queuing to get into our local Odeon and that was with a viewing at nearly every half hour!
Well after a ridiculous amount of adverts (thank God you don't get those when you go to the theatre) the film started and just blew me away from start to finish. The main thing that impressed me was how much it was like the stage production. I know it wasn't exactly identical but it really seemed to say to people this is what a musical really is, isn't it great, come and join our world!!! This was quite refreshing after so many musical films changing just to give the general public a good time and seeming to throw away the true essence of the musical...well done Les Mis on staying true to your routes!!!
The casting was superb and the singing was just phenomenal; the fact that it was actually done on set made it so real and the emotions seem a lot more raw! The sets all looked incredible...it was just an amazing film to watch. My only two overall criticisms are that: one, there so needed to be an interval after One Day More, it was just crying out for it; and two, I was a bit unsure about Javert's death, although I think this was more to do with the amazing way the stage show portrays it which just wouldn't have been possible in a film.
Right, so on with the cast...well Hugh Jackman made a brilliant Valjean; his singing was beautiful with 'Bring Him Home' being so heartfelt. He gave the character the real depth it needed.
Russell Crowe's Javert was so commanding and powerful. I'd heard quite a few bad things about him in this role but I seriously don't know where people are coming from...he was amazing. Plus, his version of 'Stars' just blew me away...the emotion he portrayed in that song was immense.
Now here's for the shock...I personally wasn't too keen on Anne Hathaway as Fantine. I think this is probably just because I can't see her as anyone other than Princess Mia from the Princess Diaries. She did nothing technically wrong and her version of 'I Dreamed a Dream' was beautiful but she just didn't work in the part for me.
Amanda Seyfried (Cosette) and Eddie Redmayne (Marius) both did brilliant jobs; they were so passionate and connected towards each other it was beautiful to behold (and this is coming from someone who isn't particularly fond of Cosette and Marius as characters!) and Redmayne's 'Empty Chairs at Empty Tables' sent shivers down my spine!
Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen did a fantastic job as the Thenardier's. Similar to Crowe, I've heard a bit of criticism about Cohen but, personally, I didn't find any problem with him and was actually quite impressed. This was possibly because I'm not a big fan of his and rather dislike his other films (Borat etc.) so wasn't expecting much in the first place. Carter was brilliant as usual and I found the banter between the two of them really provided a touch of light relief to the film...when Cohen referred to Cosette as courgette I just couldn't stop laughing.
A special mention needs to go to Isabelle Allen who gave a beautiful and heart felt portrayal of the young Cosette. Natalya Wallace was a brilliant young Eponine and I could seriously see her wowing the crowds as one of the Matilda's sometime in the future! And then there's Daniel Huttlestone who was the most perfect Gavroche you could ever wish for...enough said.
And then we come onto my star of the show...Samantha Barks! Her portrayal of Eponine was unbelievable and I have never been so moved as when she sang On My Own...I don't think I've ever cried so much. Maybe it's because Eponine's my favourite character, maybe it's because I feel some sort of connection with her but for me Sam really was the best thing about the whole film!
Finally, I just have to mention that I brought the Les Mis – Highlights from the Motion Picture Soundtrack today and while I haven’t listened to it yet I am a little disappointed as ‘Do You Hear the People Sing’ and ‘A Little Fall of Rain’ have been missed off. Now I know I only have the highlights version but to me these songs are two of the best in the whole show and it just seems a little odd that they are missing!
However, my overall verdict is that Les Mis is a must see film...if you are in any doubts just go and see it and be wowed. It truly is one of the best musical films I've ever seen!
So that's my view...what do you guys think? Please let me know by either commenting below or tweeting me on @GreenGirlsRox...I'd love to hear from you.
Love you lots
Kat
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment