Saturday 24 January 2015

Fairytales in the Woods

Hi everyone, well as well as theatre being rather fun, the cinema's at the moment have being doing us musical fans proud what with the release of both Annie (still to watch) and Into The Woods (what this blog is about). I know there is some skepticism, particularly when it comes to those who go to the cinema and come out gushing about how brilliant it was and how much they love musicals yet they have never seen a musical live on stage, however, I feel that anything that can bring musicals to those of us who don't have the money to spend on seeing a show live (not that it has to be that expensive) is a very good thing.
So, Into the Woods...now I'd heard mixed reviews about this before seeing it and was a bit wary as I'm not a massive Sondheim fan, despite loving Giants in the Sky. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and actually really enjoyed the film. There was quite a dark element to it (which is kinda expected from Sondhiem), as well as there being lots to think about and question; its was actually a really deep show. The fact that it was based of several fairytales aided my enjoyment as outside musical theatre I'm, also, a fan of the TV series Once Upon a Time.
I thought the cast was very well chosen, as well, with all of them gelling well together to produce a nicely rounded article. I know that some of the voices weren't quite as up to the standard that is normally set in a West End or Broadway show, nevertheless, as this was a film and stars were needed to draw in a wide audience I am willing to forgive a few, little flaws. I do have to give a little mention to Johnny Depp who played the wolf as even though it was a very little role I thought he was amazing, but then I do quite like him anyway.
As for the songs, I've already mentioned that I knew and loved Giants in the Sky before seeing the film, however, I, also, really enjoyed It Takes Two and Your Fault. For me there was quite a bit of variation in the music as well as a nice proportion of light hearted, lively songs in addition to deeper and darker songs.
Finally, the only thing that really surprised me about the film was the fact it was given a PG rating. Now, call me old fashioned but to me PG films are fluffy and cute; personally I would have thought Into The Woods was more of a 12A rating than a PG. What do you guys think; right or wrong rating?
Anyway, overall I really enjoyed Into The Woods and would be very interested to see it performed live, personally I think Disney have done quite a good job with it.



I hope you enjoyed this blog, please subscribe if you did, and if you've got any questions please either comment below or tweet me at @GreenGirlsRox, plus you can follow me on Instagram as well.
Love you all
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment