Wednesday 24 October 2012

An Idiot in America

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while but I've been busy with uni work...no excuse I know! Anyway last week I went to see Green Day's American Idiot at The Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff!
Now let's just say I don't really follow Green Day and had absolutely no idea what the plot would be about so I was going in blind!!!
The plot itself was quite confusing to begin with and it was not made clear that one of the characters was another's alter ego. By the end of the first act I was in quite a bit of doubt as to whether I liked the show. However, halfway through the second act it all clicked into place to deliver a very potent and relevant message. It is for this reason that I'd say the show is not for everyone and if you like a linear style plot then I'd definitely advise you to stay away. If you like Hair, however, then go and book a ticket now as, in my opinion, the plot and its delivery was Hair but modernised.
The cast was fabulous and worked extremely well as a unit. The principals were Alex Nee (Johnny), Thomas Hettrick (Tunny), Casey O'Farrell (Will), Alyssa Dipalma (Whatsername), Kennedy Caughell (Heather) and Trent Saunders (St Jimmy). All were absolutely fantastic and really made the show; their voices were strong and they played the parts with conviction. Additionally, Ashley Tobias who was part of the ensemble was brilliant and is a real star in the making. Overall, the cast was one of the strongest I've ever seen and it was exceptionally refreshing not to have any celebrities playing roles!
Moving on, the set design and lighting were really clever and worked really well, although there was an awful lot of strobe lighting so at times I felt like I'd been blinded. The backdrop was mainly made up of TV screens which were very effectively used so that if your view was slightly restricted you wouldn't miss too much of what they were showing.
And now, for the most amazing part, the theatre was just breath taking. I wasn't expecting much as I wasn't in the West End, however, it was so much more beautiful than any of the theatres in London. The stage itself was massive (quite akin to that of the Gershwin in New York) and the architecture of the auditorium was simply beautiful! The outside of the theatre was, also, magnificent and not what you'd have expected a theatre to look like. Overall, I was incredibly impressed and I think I have fallen in love with The Wales Millennium Centre; if you're ever in Cardiff just go and see a show simply to view this beautiful building! Here are a few pictures, taken by my friend Rob Jones (who in my opinion is amazing at photography),  so you can admire the beauty!
 




 
 
Overall, I would highly recommend seeing the tour of American Idiot, if you're into the more abstract musical. It was a great show with a lot of promise, oh and an amazing soundtrack!
Have a good day guys,
Love you all
Kat
xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment