Thursday 5 February 2015

Never Too Many Guvnors

Hi everyone, I seem to be on a blogging role at the moment and there's only more to come as tomorrow I will be seeing Sarah Kane's Blasted at the Sheffield Crucible, which I am majorly excited about. Anyway, enough about that...todays post (as you may have guessed) is about the hit play One Man, Two Guvnors. 

One Man, Two Guvnors is currently touring the UK with the following venues still to come:
  • The Churchill Theatre, Bromley: 3rd - 7th Feb (you've got a few days left!)
  • New Theatre, Cardiff: 10th - 14th Feb
  • Festival Theatre, Edinburgh: 17th - 21st Feb
  • New Theatre, Oxford: 24th - 28th Feb
  • New Wimbledon Theatre: 2nd - 7th Mar
  • Grand Opera House, York: 10th - 14th Mar
  • Wolverhampton Grand Theatre: 17th - 21st Mar
If you're around any of these venues on these dates I fully recommend that you beg, borrow or steal (please don't steal really!) a ticket as this show is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Now, I first saw One Man, Two Guvnors in March 2013 (click here to see the review) and completely fell in love with the show. Now anyone who has been reading this blog for a long time will have gathered that I'm more of a musical than a play girl. However, I was inspired to go and watch this show after seeing Rufus Hound (who was playing Francis Henshall at the time) at the What's On Stage Awards 2013. I was so glad I did as it was one of the best and funniest nights I'd had at the theatre!
The reason for going to see it this time was because I had to get more people into it so the fact that it was playing at my local theatre seemed like the perfect opportunity so off we went, last Friday, to the Nottingham Theatre Royal.
To give you a brief over view of the plot (I really don't want to go into too much detail as it will spoil it if you've not seen it before) it's basically about a man, Francis Henshall, who somehow manages to end up with two Guvnors, Roscoe Crabb and Stanley Stubbers. Now Roscoe is owed money and a wife by Charlie 'The Duck' who is set to give his daughter, Pauline, away to him, however, Pauline wants to marry a guy called Alan instead. The confusing part is that Roscoe isn't really Roscoe but his twin sister, Rachel and Rachel doesn't really want to marry Pauline, she wants to marry Stanley instead. Now all this comes out within the first five minutes of the play so you should be fine but, hopefully you can see where the comedy comes in.
As for the cast, they were superb...Edward Hancock who plays Alan is fantastic and a complete comic genius. Alicia Davis (Rachel) has the whole girl pretending to be a man down to a 'T'. Emma Barton was fabulous as Dolly, Charlie's bookkeeper. However, the guy who stole the show was Gavin Spokes (Francis Henshall) as he had perfect comic timing and acted the loveable rogue in the best way possible.
The other brilliant thing about this show is that before both acts and in-between the scenes there is a skiffle band, called The Craze, who come on and play. Not only does this make the changes between the scenes interesting and provides entertainment in the interval, but there are superbly talented and great fun to watch.
All that's really left to say is please, please, please go and watch this show is you're around any of the venues it's on as it's the best and funniest play I have ever seen! And, seriously, don't be put off it you've seen it before as this was my third time (I saw it in Leicester as well) and I still found it hilarious.


I hope you enjoyed this review, please subscribe by clicking the button on the top right-hand side. You can, also, follow me on Twitter at @GreenGirlsRox and Instagram, as well.
Love you all
Kat
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment